The final results of the experiment are in.
The plants that did the best were those (a) in the hygrosoil (of course!), and, (b) those watered with microwave boiled water.
In the hygrosoil, both the microwave and stove-top boiled watered plants sprouted the fastest (3 and 3.5 days respectively) and grew the tallest. As seen from this photo, the plants that did the very best were the ones watered with the microwave boiled water.
The superior performance of the microwave boiled water as compared to the stove-top boiled water was even more stark for the seeds planted in the compost soil. Two out of three seeds germinated for the microwave condition but only one seed germinated for the stove-top boiled water condition. Further, the seeds in the compost in the microwave condition germinated three full days before the stove top condition and grew faster and better (with more leaves).
Unfortunately, would you believe it, I didn’t get photos of this last condition and instead took two photos of the hygrosoil condition! (Thom’s parents were visiting all last week so I was distracted and quickly took photos before we took the 6.5 hour local bus down to Livingstone. Fun and interesting the first time but this being my second time, tiresome and grueling.)
In any case, when I started this experiment I fully thought the microwaved water would kill or harm the plants. Instead, the plants did better! I think the key was that I used ceramic/glass to boil the water whereas in the San Francisco experiment, she said they used plastic to boil the water (and putting anything hot in plastic causes nasty chemicals to leach into your food or beverage).
The pea plants are now safely planted out side.