Well, since I’ve last posted we’ve bought our dream home in Northwestern Michigan. It’s on 27 acres, has a pond and a creek, and we’re looking forward to many years of homesteading. The main house is the perfect size for us – a master bedroom on the main floor and then a basement apartment with a bedroom.
There’s an adorable guest cottage up on the hill.
The panoramic views are great now and will be spectacular in the fall when the leaves change colors. We’re in a winery, foodie, fruit tree area of Michigan and about 2 miles from the coast of Lake Michigan.
There hasn’t been much going on in Lusaka, kind of boring actually. Since May (when I lost my oomph for blogging) I’ve been having the feeling that it’s time for the vacation to end. (You know the feeling, you’re on a great, wonderful, fantastic vacation but then at some point it gets old and you just want to go home. That’s how I feel.)
Our time here in Lusaka doesn’t end until January 2013, but we had the movers come and pack things up this week so that our belongings will be back before winter, by December at the latest (since the original estimate they gave us was 3-4 months for shipping). Well, you can imagine our shock yesterday when they told us our things will be back within 45-50 days!! Instead of shipping the container via the overland route to Dar es Salaam, then up to Dubai, then back through the pirate-laden Gulf of Aden, then through the Mediterranean, and so forth, they’re using the (apparently) newly opened Walvis Bay port in Namibia. (Actually, I think the port’s been there a while; maybe it’s the road that’s been improved?) Anyways, now the container will be driven to Walvis Bay (closer than Dar) and then will head straight across the Atlantic. I know our stuff will be disappointed about not getting another around-the-world tour but maybe it’s tired of traveling too and just wants to go home?
So, as a result, I need to go back to Michigan immediately for a couple of months and get a barn built on our new property ASAP in order to accommodate all of our outdoor stuff. (Before we thought we’d build the barn during our planned October visit, but now our stuff may arrive by then.) We decided that I’ll take the dogs with me on this trip and then leave them there with family when I return to Lusaka. By doing this they’ll have a chance to acclimate to Michigan and grow a winter coat, instead of being thrown into winter unprepared.
As you can imagine, I’ve had significant anxiety about getting the dogs home given our outbound experience, but we’re going KLM and after meeting with them and our vet today, as well as corresponding with people who used KLM, I’m feeling pretty good. It’ll be a grueling 1.5 days but I can do anything for 1.5 days. Prayers and good luck incantations would be appreciated! I leave with the dogs next Tuesday, August 21, and arrive in Chicago (that’s the closest we could get to Michigan; my other choices were JFK-NY or Dulles-Wash DC) on Wednesday, August 22. A friend’s son and his girlfriend is picking me and the dogs up and we’ll drive up to Lansing (about 4 hours). I’ll spend the night there and then hopefully on Thursday, August 23, make the trek up to our new home, another 3 hours.
Hope you’ve all had a wonderful last couple of months!